Table of Contents
Clinical Assessment is a subject that allows students’ learning regarding the assessment along with the critique and implementation of the various tools and strategies used in clinical education. In this context, the medical students are found to be motivated enough to use the outcome of the assessment for contributing towards continuous enhancement in the practice of clinical education. The differences along with similarities with respect to the assessment within the curriculum are compared and contrasted, which in turn helps the medical students to design and critically assess the techniques from their workplace. The role of this assessment is to influence the leaning behavior and process followed by the students for learning (Charles Sturt University, 2017).
It can hence be observed that the relationship between learning and assessment has a engrossed the teachers largely. Therefore, learning affects assessment and often provides a practical way for describing and associating the array of outcomes (Cilliers, 2015). The objective of the study is to provide a critical reflection on the use of assessment in clinical education. Furthermore, it focuses on the significance of clinical assessment in enhancing the learning experiences of the students.Role of Clinical Assessment in Influencing Students Learning Behavior.
your paper for you
The clinical assessment has significantly helped in enhancing my knowledge and skill, through which I have been able to align my curricular goals with the educational objectives. In addition, it has also helped in improving my knowledge in the field of nursing. Thus, with the help of the clinical assessment, I have successfully obtained knowledge on the concepts of nursing, which has in turn improved my skills and have assisted me in adapting to the situation within the hospital setting. It has also helped me to incorporate the theoretical learning into practice, thereby allowing me to have practical experience. In addition, I have enhanced my communication skills, which has in turn helped me to get engaged in educating the patients and their families. Furthermore, with the support of the assessment guided by the nurse educator, I have been able to improve my capabilities and performance to maintain an effective and safe nursing environment (World Health Organization, 2016).
Critical Appraisal of Clinical Assessment
The role of clinical assessment has grown significantly over the years and is considered to be an essential tool in teaching as well as leaning related with higher education. The rubrics within the assessment have significantly helped in understanding the nursing practices, thereby reviewing the curriculum development. It has also assisted in understand the overall course design (Bharuthram, 2015). With the support of the clinical assessment, I have been able to make decisions within the field of nursing and have also helped me in learning and developing clinical competencies for enhancing my performance. The clinical assessment during the nursing education has enabled me to integrate safety and quality of the medical practices (Oermann, 2013). It has therefore been observed that the role of clinical assessment helps in the process promoting deep learning. Therefore, it can be inferred that clinical assessment has helped me in improving my knowledge and self-awareness, which has in turn led to better training and practices in the long run (Al-Kadri, 2012).
The role of clinical nursing program is an essential component for increasing the knowledge, skill and learning for the medical students. Therefore, in this context, the clinical nursing program has enabled me to make the right decisions and apply best practices for providing good care to the patients. In addition, it has also assisted me to improve my confidence for dealing with the different circumstances (Chang, Huang, Chen, Liao & Wang, 2013).
Analyze Correlation to Learning Outcomes and Learning Experiences
The role of clinical assessment is one of the most essential aspects for obtaining a positive learning outcome. This helps the medical students to develop the series of core competencies, which must be present in the nurses to practice nursing in an efficient manner. The proper guidance within the clinical assessment can result in enhancing the abilities of the students (Lancaster University, 2016). In this context, it has helped me in improving my knowledge and skills due to proper training along with the support of clinical technique pertaining to the medical situations. It has further allowed me to act in professionally, thereby enhancing my communication skills. In addition, I have been able to effectively communicate the information in present environment. Furthermore, it has also allowed me to enhance my ability to interact using a psychologically informed manner with the support of adequate knowledge and skills.
Clinical Assessment has helped to put my theoretical knowledge into practice, which has significantly assisted me in developing my nursing experience. Therefore, nursing education has made me capable and experienced enough in the field of nursing. The clinical assessment enabled me to become more aware regarding the situations and act accordingly to provide better care to the patients. Thus, it has allowed to me make proper decisions with respect to treating the patients properly (Sharif & Masoumi, 2005).
Affects Professional Clinical Assessment Practice and Lifelong Learning in Clinical Education
In the practice of clinical assessment, a complex role is played by the nursing educators and senior nurses for educating the newly recruited students or the nurses. Thus, with the help of proper clinical assessment, the educators have the potential to provide necessary theoretical concepts, which helps in boosting up one’s learning and development. To be a nurse, an individual needs to possess adequate knowledge. Thus, the teachers or educators are able to obtain sufficient knowledge that can be applied into practice to imbibe the best effect. Thus, the nurse educators and staff with the help of proper clinical assessment can develop nurses, who will be working in the best interest of the patients. Thus, it assists in producing better nurses with the capability to act ethically and efficiently (Houghton, 2014).
The core competencies of nursing education involve assessment and intervention. The clinical assessment therefore helps in improving the critical thinking, teaching, leadership, management, maintaining relationships and communication. Thus, the assessment helps in achieving all the core competencies to the optimum level. This has therefore changed the standard of nursing education, which in turn helps in integrating both theoretical knowledge and practice. This enables the nursing students to focus on studying the solutions related to the issues in clinical nursing, which in turn builds the foundation for lifelong learning (Wu, Wang, Wu & Guo, 2014).
with any paper
New Knowledge for Future Practice
Clinical Assessment has helped in obtaining feedback of the learning process and has enabled me to enrich learning and experiences. This has also helped me to develop the nursing skills and knowledge that has in turn helped me to enhance my learning experiences. Thus, with the help of nursing education, I can also achieve my goal of ensuring proper quality of public healthcare. It can further assist in professional development with the help of continuous nursing education (The American Nurses Association Inc, 2017). Thus, clinical assessment an also help in taking decisions related to the continuation of professional development for improving skills. Hence, the decision making will help me to take appropriate decisions. In addition, it can also help me in enhancing my medical competencies in the field of nursing.
Therefore, clinical assessment will also help me in registering the position that I want to work within the professional healthcare setting (Council of Deans of Health, 2016). I aspire to become a nurse educator, who will be responsible for various ranges of the roles within the hospital setting. In addition, being a nurse educator will not only help me to provide education to the medical students, but will also allow me to increase healthcare communication. This will in turn enable me to understand the needs of the patients along with the medical professionals, which can further contribute to the better management of healthcare problems. Further, the role of the nurse educator involves implementing necessary actions for improving the outcomes with respect to patient management. This includes educating professionals, caregivers and patients for clinical support (Coe, 2012).
Summative and Formative Assessment
Summative assessment is administered mostly at the end of the course, whereas the formative assessment may be considered in various occasions throughout the unit. The summative assessment therefore is conducted few times. The objective of the summative evaluation is to assess the ability of the learning standards. On the other hand, the formative assessment can focuses on the feedback. The summative assessments due to its broader scope are considered to possess higher stakes. On the contrary, the formative assessments can consider large variety of formats. Another use of the summative assessment is concentrated on judging an individual. This includes verifying the accomplishment of a particular individual. In addition, it also involves in motivating medical students to enhance their performances in the long run. The formative assessment on the other side emphasizes on the recognition of areas for enhancement and also includes suggestion for bringing about improvement (Dumit, 2012).
We can do it today.
The objective of formative assessment is to significantly concentrate on monitoring student’s learning for providing the feedback, which is used by the instructors to enhance their teaching skills for improving the learning experience of the students. On the other hand, the summative assessment focuses on evaluating the learning, which is then compared to the standard or a benchmark as set by the nursing educators (Carnegie Mellon University, 2015).
Identify and Distinguish Between Assessment and Performance in Health Professionals
Clinical Assessment is developed for aligning the coursework of nursing education with the performance of the individuals. It has hence been observed that the nursing students view the assessment and framework leaning activities for optimizing their performance. Thus, with the support of authentic assessment, a nursing educator can directly scrutinize the performance of the students related to medical practices (Teaching Learning Lab, n.d.). In addition, the clinical assessment provides the health professionals and students with the overall coursework of what is to be learned. Therefore, clinical assessment or rubric helps in identifying essential components related to the works and differentiates between the proficiency levels in addressing the issues (Carnegie Mellon University, n.d.).
Based on the understanding of the theoretical and my personal experience, it can be inferred that the clinical assessment in nursing education plays a significant role in influencing the learning behavior of the students. With the support of clinical assessment, an individual can align his objectives to the learning outcomes. It also helps in enhancing the performance of the students towards nursing education. Therefore, the use of clinical assessment helps in evaluating the overall performance of an individual with respect to the standard, set by the nursing educators. The clinical assessment ensures that the students obtain lifelong learning through theoretical and practical knowledge and experience.
- Al-Kadri, H.M. F. (2012). Does assessment drive students’ learning? Clinical context assessment and students’ approaches to learning. Maastricht University, 9-187.
- Bharuthram, S. (2015). Lecturers’ perceptions: The value of assessment rubrics for informing teaching practice and curriculum review and development. Africa Education Review, 12(3), 415-428.
- Carnegie Mellon University. (2015). What is the difference between formative and summative assessment. Retrieved from https://www.cmu.edu/teaching/assessment/basics/formative-summative.html
- Carnegie Mellon University. (n.d.). Align assessments with objectives. Retrieved from http://www.cmu.edu/teaching/assessment/howto/basics/objectives.html
- Chang, SC., Huang, C. Y., Chen, S. Y., .Liao, Y. C. & Wang, H. H. (2013). Evaluation of a critical appraisal program for clinical nurses: a controlled before-and-after study. The Journal of Continuing Education in Nursing, 44(1), 43-48.
- Charles Sturt University. (2017). HLT540 assessment in clinical education (8). Retrieved from http://www.csu.edu.au/handbook/subjects/HLT540.html
- Cilliers, F. J. (2015). Is assessment good for learning or learning good for assessment? A. Both? B. Neither? C. It depends. Perspectives on Medical Education, 4(6), 280-281.
- Coe, S. (2012). The nurse educator’s role. Retrieved from http://www.nursetogether.com/nurse-educators-role
- Council of Deans of Health. (2016). Educating the Future Nurse – a paper for discussion. CoDH, Shape of Caring Advisory Group, 3-18.
- Dumit, N. Y. (2012). Diagnostic/formative/summative assessment. American University of Beirut, 2-16.
- Houghton, T. (2014). Assessment and accountability: part 1 – assessment. Nursing Standard. 30(38), 41-49.
- Lancaster University. (2016). Assessment of learning outcomes. Retrieved from http://www.lancaster.ac.uk/shm/study/doctoral_study/dclinpsy/onlinehandbook/assessment_of_learning_outcomes/
- Oermann, M. H. (2013). Nurse educators: are you prepared to assess learning and clinical performance, write test items, prepare tests, and evaluate programs. Retrieved from http://www.springerpub.com/w/nursing/nurse-educators-are-you-prepared-to-assess-learning-and-clinical-performance-write-test-items-prepare-tests-and-evaluate-programs/
- Sharif, F. & Masoumi, S. (2005). A qualitative study of nursing student experiences of clinical practice. BMC Nursing, 4(6), 6.
- Teaching Learning Lab. (n.d.). Assessment-outcome alignment. Retrieved from http://tll.mit.edu/guidelines/assessment-outcome-alignment
- The American Nurses Association Inc. (2017). Continuing education for nurses. Retrieved from http://www.nursingworld.org/MainMenuCategories/ThePracticeofProfessionalNursing/NursingEducation/ContinuingEducationforNurses
- World Health Organization. (2016). Nurse educa.tor core competencies. Developing the Nurse Educator Core Competencies, 2-28.
- Wu, F. Q., Wang, Y. L., Wu, Y. & Guo, M. (2014). Application of nursing core competency standard education in the training of nursing undergraduates. International Journal of nursing Sciences, 1, 367-370.