Table of Contents
People with mental illness have been suffering from social stigma as the society used to see them as social misfit due to their poor mental condition. Most of the society members used to avoid them. However, the society has changed the notion that people with mental problems are bad and dangerous. Some of the values that the organization installed include but not limited to respecting people with mental disorders and treating them with dignity. Their privacy should be protected and their health records being treated in with utmost confidentiality. Upholding the value, respect and dignity among the people with mental problems help to create a society that supports mental health and welfare of its members. The society ensures that people with mental health are addressed with dignity and respect just like any other normal human beings (Wronka, 2017). The Society also ensures that people with mental disorders care by providing them with the support they need. For instance, society ensures that human rights of individuals with mental problems are safeguarded. For example, the fundamental human rights such as access to food, clothing, and shelter. Besides, the society upholds the values by observing the manner in which one interact with people with mental illness. The society ensures that people with mental illness are protecting against those who may want to take advantage of their situation by abusing them. The society upholds the values of dignity and respect among people with mental health problems by ensuring that they are living in a conducive environment that helps them to recover from their condition. The society helps them to adopt a healthy lifestyle so that they can recover from the situation. The society also provides physical and mental support to families with persons with mental problems to enable the person with mental illness to get access to proper treatment. I can work with individuals from a different professional to address the issue of mental disorders the problem of stigma among the members of the society by establishing an excellent support and communication network. Besides, I can work with doctors and teachers to ensure to conduct research on how we can identify the main causes of stigma among people with mental illness and suggest ways through which we can address those problems (Wronka, 2008).
Assignment: Capstone Project Part I: The Fundamentals
The agency identified is known as National Institute of Mental Health Agency (NIMH). The core values of this agency are to transform the treatment and understandings of mental illness through proper execution of clinical research to create a way for recovery, cure, and prevention. The NIMH agency believes that for it to foster its core values, it must embrace thinking, innovation and encourage discoveries that could help to bring a breakthrough in other areas of mental illness to provide sustainable solutions (National Institute of Mental Health, 2017).
- The degree, which the core values are aligned with advocacy, leadership, and social change, is that the agency takes keenness in understanding and treatment of mental illness. Besides, the agency ensures that the recovery of mental illness is in line with its advocacy for creativity and innovation to foster further scientific invention that may help to bring a permanent solution to all problems of mental illness. Besides, the agency has a team that works collaboratively with each other to ensure that they assist people with mental illness to recover from their condition. A leader who ensures that there are proper communication and advocacy campaigns for fighting stigma against people with mental illness so that society can see them like other normal person pioneers the team (United Nations, 1948).
- The core value contribute to the well-being of the society in a sense they help to fight the stigma that persons with mental problem face thereby making the society to respect their rights. The core value also helps the society to take care of individuals with mental illness by treating them with care, respect, and dignity, which consequently help the people with such illness to easily recover from their mental condition. The core values also ensure that individual with mental illness gets a quick recovery, which consequently ensures they become productive members of the society (Wronka, 2008).
The mission of the National Institute of Mental Health Agency (NIMH) is to make positive transformation towards the treatment of mental illness and create a channel for cure and recovery among persons with mental illness. The mission helps to indicate the reason why the agency exists and provide members and all stakeholders with a clear understanding of what the agency intends to achieve (National Institute of Mental Health, 2017).
- It can be observed that the mission statement of the agency is aligned with its core values of ensuring that persons with mental illness and treated with care, respect, and dignity and ensures that they are protected and move towards recovery from the physical and mental condition (National Institute of Mental Health, 2017).
- The mission statement promotes advocacy, leadership and social change in the sense that, the agency engage in research and innovation to ensure that its mission is aligned towards achieving its core values of providing people with mental illness with dignity and respect that the need. Besides, the agency ensures that the research is carried out so that solution that is more appropriate can be provided to the patients with mental illness (Graber, & Kilpatrick, 2008).
- The agency mission statement provides evidence of how the organisation contributes to the well-being of the individual and society through innovation and creative thinking. The innovation helps to come up with new technology that may help to address problems facing persons with mental illness (National Institute of Mental Health, 2017).
The identified vision of the agency involves creating the world where mental illness is prevented.
- The vision is aligned top core values of the organization because it focuses on ensuring that the world that is free from mental illness which in harmonized with the fundamental values of the organization.
- The vision promotes advocacy, leadership and social change in the sense that it provide a strategic direction of where the organization aims to be in the future and influences the efforts of its team work towards achieving the vision.
- The vision provides evidence on how the agency contributes to the well-being of the individuals, groups, societies, or international communities. It creates a society that is free from mental illness and providing necessary support to those people suffering from mental illness so that they can recover from their condition (National Institute of Mental Health, 2017).
The key stakeholders of the NIMH agency include the federal government, health research organization and the US Department of Health and Human resource is among the key stakeholders of this agency (Hemmelgarn, & Basso, 2016).
- The Federal governments and the US Department of Health and Human resource are the key internal stakeholders while members of the public and health research organizations are external stakeholders.
- Federal governments and the US Department of Health and Human resource provide the financial and material support needed to promote the well-being of persons with mental illness through NIMH agency. On the other hand, members of the public play a role in helping people with mental illness by providing them with care, respect, and dignity while health research organization work towards ensuring that the investigation and innovation are carried out to address the problem of mental illness (National Institute of Mental Health, 2017).
- The stakeholders can be an essential element of gathering information to develop a strategic plan. For example, the government may provide information on population size for people with mental illness while research organization can provide information on solutions to the problem of mental illness. Such information may help the agency to develop a proper strategic plan (Laureate Education, 2016).
- Graber, D. R., & Kilpatrick, A. O. (2008). Establishing values-based leadership and value systems in healthcare organizations. Journal of Health & Human Services Administration, 31(2), 179–197. Retrieved from the Walden Library databases.
- Hemmelgarn, A., & Basso, P. (2016). Joining forces: A crosswalk of the human services value curve with organizational culture and climate. Policy & Practice, (3), 24. Retrieved from the Walden Library databases.
- Laureate Education (Producer). (2016). Final project: Developing a strategic plan [Podcast]. Baltimore, MD: Author.
- National Institute of Mental Health. (2017). About NIMH. Retrieved :< https://www.nimh.nih.gov/about/index.shtml>
- United Nations. (1948). The universal declaration of human rights. Retrieved from http://www.un.org/en/documents/udhr/index.shtml
- Wronka, J. (2008). Preface. In Human rights and social justice: Social action and service for the helping and health professions (p. xix). Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage Publications.
- Wronka, J. (2017). Human rights and social justice: Social action and service for the helping and health professions (2nd ed.). Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage Publications.